Natalie Birrell will continue as Chair of the Board of Directors
David Zirin will serve as Vice-Chair
WASHINGTON, DC – Managed Funds Association (MFA), the trade association for the global alternative asset management industry, announced new members of its Board of Directors for the 2024 fiscal year today. The new Directors are comprised of top executives from leading alternative asset management firms and service provider organizations. Their tenure begins October 1.
“MFA’s Board of Directors is an esteemed group of leaders in the alternative asset management industry. The new Directors will help elevate MFA’s efforts to foster a thriving industry and help our members raise capital, invest, and generate returns for their beneficiaries,” said Bryan Corbett, MFA President and CEO. “The new Directors are joining during a pivotal moment for the alternative asset management industry and MFA. Regulatory scrutiny is intensifying globally, markets are volatile, and institutional investors, including pensions, foundations, and endowments, depend on alternative asset managers to generate steady returns. MFA, with the guidance of the Board, will help the industry shape the future of alternative asset management for the betterment of capital markets and the economy.”
Natalie Birrell, President of Anchorage Capital Group, L.L.C., will continue to serve as Chair of the MFA Board of Directors. David Zirin, Chief Operating Officer of Pentwater Capital Management, is the newly appointed Vice-Chair. MFA’s more than 170 member firms collectively manage nearly $2.2 trillion across a diverse group of investment strategies, including credit, long/short equity, event-driven, quantitative, and crossover strategies that invest in private companies.
“I look forward to working with the new board members, returning board members, and MFA’s leadership during this pivotal time for the industry,” said Natalie Birrell, Chair of the MFA Board of Directors. “The MFA Board composition reflects the dynamic nature of our industry and positions MFA to continue addressing the evolving needs of our members. MFA is grateful to the outgoing board members who, through their unwavering dedication, collaboration, and leadership, helped improve regulatory outcomes for the industry.”
The new members of the MFA Board include:
- Darcy Bradbury, Managing Director, D. E. Shaw Group
- Brian Douglas, Chief Executive Officer, Graham Capital Management
- Andrew Fishman, President & Chief Operating Officer, Schonfeld Strategic Advisors
- Brian Gavin, Senior Managing Director & Chief Operating Officer, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management
- Jennifer Graf, Principal, Renaissance Technologies
- Chris Papagianis, Chief Strategy Officer, Hudson Bay Capital Management
- Shailini Rao, Co-Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel, Diameter Capital Partners
- Mark Sullivan, Head, Hedge Fund Group, Wellington Management Company
- Jeff Boyd, CEO North America, Northern Trust Hedge Fund Services
- Elizabeth Shea Fries, Global Practice Leader, Investment Funds, Sidley Austin LLP
- Tim Gately, Managing Director, Citigroup Inc.
- Kenny King, Managing Director, BNY Mellon
- Jay Peller, Head of Fund Services, Citco Group
Serving on MFA’s Board of Directors is a two-year term. Thirteen outgoing board members concluded their terms in September 2023. During their service, these board members helped further position MFA as the leading trade association for the alternative asset management industry, including supporting MFA’s expansion to Brussels and London and pushback against an unprecedented global policy environment.
Outgoing board members:
- Susanne Clark, General Counsel, Centerbridge Partners
- Shawn Fagan, Chief Legal Officer & Managing Director, Citadel
- Andy Genser, General Counsel, Viking Global Investors
- Jody Gunderson, Managing Principal, AB CarVal Investors
- Jeremy Katz, President & Chief Operating Officer, D1 Capital Partners
- Kevin Kelly, Global Co-Head, Prime Services, Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.
- Cindy Ma, Global Head, Portfolio Valuation, Houlihan Lokey
- Rory McGregor, Chief Operating Officer, Emso Asset Management
- Jon Mosle, Chief Operating Officer, HBK Capital Management
- Scott Moss, Partner, Chair, Fund Regulatory & Compliance, Lowenstein Sandler LLP
- Penny Novick, Global Co-Head, Prime Brokerage, Morgan Stanley
- Scott Schroeder, Co-Founding Partner, Balyasny Asset Management L.P.
- Rob Stone, Managing Director, SS&C Technologies
- Dede Welles, General Counsel, PDT Partners
The full list of MFA Board of Directors is available here.
About the Global Alternative Asset Management Industry
The global alternative asset management industry, including hedge funds, credit funds, and crossover funds, has assets under management of $4 trillion (Q4 2022). The industry serves thousands of public and private pension funds, charitable endowments, foundations, sovereign governments, and other global institutional investors by providing portfolio diversification and risk-adjusted returns to help meet their funding obligations and return targets.
About Managed Funds Association
Managed Funds Association (MFA), based in Washington, DC, New York, Brussels, and London, represents the global alternative asset management industry. MFA’s mission is to advance the ability of alternative asset managers to raise capital, invest, and generate returns for their beneficiaries. MFA advocates on behalf of its membership and convenes stakeholders to address global regulatory, operational, and business issues. MFA has more than 170 member firms, including traditional hedge funds, credit funds, and crossover funds, that collectively manage nearly $2.2 trillion across a diverse group of investment strategies. Member firms help pension plans, university endowments, charitable foundations, and other institutional investors to diversify their investments, manage risk, and generate attractive returns over time