Position Title: Managing Director, Head of UK Government Affairs
Location: London, UK
Reports to: Executive Vice President and Managing Director, Head of Global Government Affairs in Washington D.C.
Position Summary: The Head of UK is responsible for establishing and leading a new MFA office in London. This position will be a key part of the team that develops MFA’s global presence according to the following guiding objectives:
- Provide U.S.-based global alternative asset managers with best-in-class advocacy, insights, and networking in the UK;
- Provide a hub for UK-based managers seeking connectivity to MFA’s full suite of offerings in Europe and the United States;
- Grow the MFA brand & membership outside of the U.S., including by extending MFA content (conferences, member services, research, and communications)
The incumbent will work directly with Washington, Brussels, and New York staff and play a crucial role in developing MFA’s ability to shape policy in the UK and globally.
Essential Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Executive Vice President and Managing Director, Head of Global Government Affairs, the Head of UK will perform the following duties:
- Develop and execute a policy engagement strategy for London and the UK to deliver MFA’s strategic objectives;
- Oversee all aspects (including policy engagement, office operations, organizing responses to stakeholder consultations, building alliances and relationships internationally, and member relations) of the London office, and uphold the highest standards in line with regional employment laws and MFA culture;
- Analyze UK policy and regulatory developments and prepare routine reports, with recommendations, for MFA members and staff;
- Coordinate closely with all MFA teams to prepare responses to stakeholder consultations and achieve globally coordinated outcomes that are synchronized with the global nature of the funds sector;
- Identify and assist in strategically promoting and supporting MFA through events and developing new commercial opportunities for the association;
- Liaise with policymakers, academics, think tanks, and other trade associations on a regular basis to amplify the priorities of MFA, collect information, build alliances, and position MFA to maximize its reach and influence;
- Collaborate closely with counterparts in EU and US to ensure a holistic global government affairs approach;
- Partner with MFA membership team to identify and serve the needs of London-based members;
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Graduate or advanced degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as law, business, economics, finance, or international affairs;
- A minimum of 10 years of strong experience in policymaking, policy analysis, or advocacy with a focus on the UK;
- Strong knowledge of UK political institutions and regulatory bodies;
- Knowledge of hedge fund and alternative asset management issues is preferred but not required;
- Demonstrated track record of managing processes and/or people;
- Excellent Microsoft Office Skills, including PowerPoint and Word;
- A creative, constructive, and resourceful collaborator and strategic thinker;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to be independently motivated with strong follow-through skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative manner with tact and ability to creatively solve problems and manage multiple and changing priorities.